Thursday, March 7, 2013

X1 Blade for Jones Fracture Treatment

X1 Blade for the Treatment of Healing Jones Fracture (5th metatarsal fracture)

I had a call from a physical therapist in Baltimore for a consult about an athlete he was treating who was recovering from a Jones fracture. The athlete was just coming out of a boot and the orthopaedic surgeon wanted a rigid orthotic for the athlete to wear during football. He stated that he had been researching online the different insert options and thought that the X1 Blade design for 5th metatarsal fractures made more sense because it would be less restrictive for the athlete than a spring steel or carbon fiber plate. He asked me how the X1 Blade worked and if I had success treating these healing fractures?

I said yes I had success using these designs and had created them for basketball, football, soccer, and volleyball athletes.

I explained how it worked. That by adding a thin (.060") X1 Blade under the shaft of the 5th met and ending it just distal to the base of the 5th metatarsal it unloaded the healing fracture site and the athlete was more comfortable during competition.

No comments: